Landfills are filling up with returned clothing and packaging waste!
Did you know that stock returned to retailers is often landfilled, considered too time- and cost-intensive to add back into inventory. Each year, 5 billion pounds of waste is generated through returns in the U.S. alone. This contributes to 15 million metric tons of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. This amount of waste is and equivalent to what 3 million cars would emit in one year or to the amount of trash produced by 5 million people in a year, according to one estimate.
And those figures are only set to rise with emissions from ‘urban last-mile’ fashion deliveries. Researchers expect those numbers to increase by more than 30% by 2030.
With returns running at such a high cost to the environment, now is the time to explore the solutions that could both reduce the impact of returns and returns rates altogether.
Each returned package — regardless of which carrier picks it up — leaves a trail of emissions from the various trains, planes, and giant trucks that carry it back to the seller. That pollution contributes to climate change and worsens air quality. Many of the discarded items head to a landfill. The environmental problem is only getting worse. We know that e-commerce grows and free returns become the expected norm for shopping online. Now is the time to change it and break the vicious cycle.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Shop mindfully with sustainable retailers who are diligent about using sustainable packaging.
- Buy less but better. It is worth to invest in pieces that will serve you well, fit and flatter your body.
- Check your size before you buy. Buy from retailers who are passionate about your shopping experience and are happy to help you get the best size and fit. Explore our free Fitting Sessions.
HOW WE CONTRIBUTE TO SOLVING THIS PROBLEM:
- Our packaging not only looks great, but is also made from eco-friendly materials. To produce it, our partners use natural glue and vegetable ink. Our boxes are compostable and biodegradable.
- Due to hygiene and sustainability reasons, we have a strict no returns policy. Instead, we offer great customer service during every step of the way! We have a dedicated team that are here to help you get the best size and fit.
- We sell swatch samples so you can touch the fabric before buying our products.
- Our team produce a lot of video content to help you get the best shopping experience from the comfort of your home.